Josiah Spode 1 originally acquired the site in 1776 and Spode wares were made there continuously until 2008. In the 19th century it was one of the two largest potteries in Staffordshire boasting some 22 bottle ovens and employing around a thousand people. Now a new regeneration scheme worth more than £19 million over 15 years has been granted to transform this historic pottery factory into a hub for artists creating 43 new studios.
To facilitate this new regeneration scheme, we were instructed by Stoke-On-Trent City Council to remove 2,500m2 of asbestos sprayed coating to the factory ceilings using a multi-point needle injection system and then removing the remaining residues using abrasive shot blasting techniques.
This work enabled Spode to house the British Ceramics Biennial, transforming the former production halls into a new 40,000 sq ft exhibition space.
Stoke-On-Trent City Council